Sedation Learning Center
NO INSURANCE? NO WORRIES!
Researchers have learned that almost 75% of Americans are dealing with some degree of anxiety when they consider going to the dentist. Many of the patients in this category will not seek important dental work because of the anxiety that they feel. Eventually, this leads to a negative impact on their dental health. It results in painful dental situations and more expensive procedures. Ultimately, the dental work that is required is more anxiety producing than the original work needed in the beginning. The staff at Morgan-Hill Dental Care would like to help you avoid this vicious cycle.
Sedation dentistry has developed safe and simple solutions that offer much-needed relief for thousands of patients who are dealing with anxiety. Sedation dentistry has proven helpful in the following scenarios:
- Those are suffering from severe dental anxiety.
- Those who have endured past negative experiences at the dentist.
- Those who struggle to get completely numb for dental procedures.
- Those who, due to time constraints, must get multiple dental procedures done in a single appointment.
Sedation dentistry employs safe but relaxing medications that will enable you to relax and skip the anxiety. Our experienced staff will review your medical history and any medications that you may be taking in order to help you know which sedation will meet your specific needs. No matter which option you choose, you can rest assured that each option has been safely used by thousands of patients just like yourself. Tens of thousands of patients have found their fears to be put at ease during their dentist appointment.
In order to reduce your anxiety and make your visit a pleasant experience, our office offers three levels of dental sedation. The use of nitrous oxide, commonly referred to as “laughing gas”, is the most often used method. We also offer oral conscious sedation and IV sedation. A member of our staff will explain the benefits of each option and help you choose the best option for your situation.
- Nitrous Oxide – this sedation method, most often referred to as “laughing gas”, will keep you relaxed as you breathe nitrous oxide through a special nasal mask. The gas provides a soothing effect and will remove your anxiety and any accompanying discomfort. The effects of the gas dissipate the moment that you remove the mask. The use of nitrous oxide during your appointment will not keep you from resuming your normal activities as soon as your appointment is complete.
- Conscious Sedation – Your dentist will provide you with an oral sedative shortly before your procedure begins. Almost immediately you will begin to feel “drowsy” and relaxed. Make sure to bring a friend or relative to the appointment with you so that they can help you get safely home after the procedure. Once the sedation has reached maximum effectiveness, your dentist will carry out the planned procedures. With this treatment, the dentist will be able to perform multiple procedures in the same appointment if necessary. Throughout the procedure, you will be completely relaxed but able to communicate with our dental team as necessary. Our staff will constantly monitor your vital signs throughout the procedure in order ensure your good health and safety. Conscious sedation will keep you feeling drowsy a bit longer than the nitrous oxide. Once the appointment is over, you will have no memory of the procedure that has been performed. You will be able to return to your normal activities by evening time.
- IV Sedation – The highest level of sedation is available for the patients who face the most severe anxiety. It is also available for patients who find it necessary to have multiple procedures completed in a single office visit. If IV sedation is used, a certified anesthesiologist will assist your dentist each step of the way. His sole purpose in the appointment will be to monitor your health and vital signs and to administer the correct dosages of sedative. His goal is to keep you completely comfortable and anxiety free. With this level of sedation, you will sleep in a safe and comfortable manner throughout the entire dental appointment. You will awake with no memory of the procedure. You will need to bring along a friend or relative to assist you in returning home, and you will be able to return to a normal schedule the following morning.
Our team at Morgan-Hill Dental Care is happy to help you determine which level of sedation would meet your needs and provide an anxiety-free appointment. Call to schedule your Free Consultation today!
Give our office a call or fill out the form.